Sunday, February 5, 2012

Am I the Only One? Review of NARS Lhasa Eyeshadow

I'm an honest blogger. And I'm going to be honest with you right now. I have no idea how to pronounce the name of this eyeshadow in real life. Which is why I'm so happy that I don't do videos - I would probably sit there for at least 5 minutes while I tried in vain to pronounce the name of this new eyeshadow. Luckily for you, I'm a traditional, writing type blogger. So you can just read the name and wonder to yourself how to pronounce it. Now, I saw the news about this eyeshadow's release on Temptalia's website. Lavender grey sounded like an intriguing color, so I waited impatiently for reviews.

The reviews were fabulous. Everyone loved it. It apparently was up to par with all other NARS eyeshadows. And I didn't have a lavender grey in my collection. In fact, I only own one grey (Knight Divine by MAC). So it wouldn't really be a terrible thing to have two greys, especially if one was as unique as everyone had said it would be, right? Or at least that's what I told myself when I walked into Sephora. I swatched the display tester on my arm, and was unpleasantly surprised by the lack of pigment it seemed to hold. But the color glistened and glimmered. The hints of lavender peeked through and the finely milled shimmer of the eyeshadow seemed to call my name. I gave in and bought it. I took it home with me and snapped pictures and swatches - here they are for you guys. It was a bit of an overcast day, but I think the pictures came out pretty decently - I had to tweak a couple of them a teeny bit to amp the exposure up, but I assure you I did not mess with the color of the eyeshadow at all.










Okay, there were two outstanding things about this eyeshadow. Firstly - it is not very pigmented, and I had to put on two or three layers of eyeshadow for this swatch. Secondly - it is such a gorgeous color. Unfortunately, those two factors are a bit at war with each other. But the color was so gorgeous, I thought I might willing to sacrifice pigmentation. So the next day, I tried to apply it to my crease. I had to go back to the eyeshadow three times for any impact. I have very few eyeshadows with low pigment - I find them very frustrating to apply and work with. The obvious solution would be to buy pigmented eyeshadows, which is what I do. And NARS Lhasa is really not one of them. Besides that, when I wore it in my crease, it creased. I hear a lot about NARS eyeshadows not creasing and wearing for eight hours. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to hold true for my oily lids. Every other beauty blogger seems to love this shade and had no complaints about pigmentation - I seem to be the only one who isn't in love, or at least like, with this eyeshadow. I'm more neutral - just like the shade itself. I've lost a bit of faith - this was my first NARS purchase, and after hearing so many fabulous things about the brand, I was somehow expecting more. Although the color is fabulous if I can get it to show up, the unpronounceable NARS Lhasa is headed back to the store. Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Wow how disappointing!  I almost wonder if there was a bad batch?  I mean this is really, really bad...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I'm thinking there must have been, because I've heard nothing but raves otherwise - and the color is just so unique, I was really let down by this.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...